The Academy wishes pupils to enjoy the sun safely. The Academy also has a duty of care to ensure that sun protection is provided whilst pupils are on school premises during school hours or undertaking school activities.
- When pupils are outside they will be required to wear sunhats (provided by parents/carers with their name written inside).
- Sun hats should preferably be wide-brimmed/legionnaire type to cover face, ears and neck.
Wearing of sunscreen
- Parents/carers are encouraged to send in a high factor protection (minimum 15) sun cream for their children to wear in school. (The school will not provide spare sunscreen due to different skin types and potential allergy issues). The bottle will be clear mark with your child’s name on before given to school.
- Authorised staff will supervise the application of personal sun cream to the pupils’ exposed skin that cannot be protected by clothing, before lunchtime break or before participating in any outdoor activities.
- Parents/carers must notify the school in writing if they do not wish teachers to assist with sunscreen application.
- Any pupil who does not have a sunscreen provided by parents/carers, will be required to stay in the shade or may not be allowed to go on outdoor visits.
- If a pupil is allergic to sunscreen, parents/carers must notify the school about this in writing immediately. Parents/carers have the option of providing a hypoallergenic sunscreen for their children.
- The school will hold outdoor activities in areas of shade whenever possible, and encourage students to use shady areas during breaks, lunchtimes, sports and trips.
- The school will work towards increasing the provision of adequate shade for everyone.
- Wherever possible, outside activities will be timetabled outside the peak hours of 12.00 and 2.00pm.